Hardwood Flooring Care Instructions
After your new and improved hardwood flooring project is complete, it’s all about maintaining that beautiful wood finish. And, with a regular maintenance and cleaning plan, it’s not as difficult as you think to keep the floors looking as shiny and intact as they are now. Simply follow our step-by-step hardwood flooring care instructions below to protect your flooring and prolong its lifespan.
Preventive Care is Key
The entrance to the home typically has the highest amount of traffic. So, keep dirt and sand from being ground into the new floors with the help of doormats in each entryway. Also, prevent scrapes and scratches from everyday wear by adding protective felt under chairs, couches, and table legs. And, avoid placing plants directly on the floor as the water can damage the floor. Instead, place them in a waterproof tray. That being said, remove spilled liquids as soon as possible to prevent staining and discoloration.
Daily Cleaning Care Steps
- Remove dirt and footprints with a vacuum, sweeper or duster.
- Cut down on intense cleaning sessions with frequent sweeping.
- Use a damp mop with water as needed.
- Never soak the floor with water or leave puddles.
- Always dry the floor by hand and avoid air-drying as much as possible.
Weekly/Bi-Weekly Cleaning Care Steps
- Wash your new floor with a natural soap or wash, such as OSMO Wash and Care, Woca, Blanchon, or Ciranova.
- After diluting the soap, dampen the mop or spray lightly on the floor.
- Wipe with a soft cloth. Never use a scrub with an abrasive brush.
- Dry the floor by hand and do not let it air dry.
- Use a higher concentration of soap and water on scuffs and high-traffic areas.
Annual Care Tips
- Inspect the floor every 12 months for signs of wear.
- Keep in mind that dull marks and wear are normal, especially in high traffic areas.
- Give your floors a refresh with either Liquid Wax Cleaner or OSMO Maintenance Oil as needed. Liquid Wax Cleaner is a cleaner and rejuvenator, so it can be used more frequently.
- Apply a small amount of Liquid Wax Cleaner to areas with stains or ground-in dirt. Then, use a fine abrasive pad to scrub out the imperfections. Finally, wipe up excess cleaner immediately with a soft cloth, and buff the surface when it’s dry.
Utilize the OSMO Care Product Line
Ensure your hardwood flooring care process is on track with the help of natural products. Always use OSMO Care products or equivalent natural soaps, such as Woca, Blanchon, or Ciranova, on your hardwood floors. OSMO Care series products include a line of Wash & Care, Liquid Wax Cleaner, and Maintenance Oil products that are specially developed for wooden floors. Not to mention, all of the products are gentle on skin, biodegradable and non-toxic. All in all, use all three OSMO products to clean, refresh, add shine, and keep your floors lasting indefinitely.
OSMO Wash & Care Instructions:
- Mix 1 capful of Wash & Care with 1 liter or a quart of water in a spray bottle. Shake.
- Spray the cleaner on to the floor. Then, wipe the floor with a sponge mop or cloth. The surface should not be wet.
- If there is excess moisture, wipe the floor dry with a clean cloth. It is not necessary to rinse after cleaning.
OSMO Liquid Wax Cleaner Instructions:
- After cleaning and drying the floors with OSMO Wash & Care, you’re ready to apply the wax cleaner.
- To remove greasy stains: Apply a small amount on a cloth or a white pad and rub the dirty area. Wipe off the dirt residue. Then, allow the floor to dry, and buff with a soft cloth.
- To maintain or for minor repairs: Apply a thin layer of wax to the clean, dry surface. About 2 teaspoons will cover 10 square feet. Then, allow the floor to dry for 30 to 60 minutes, or until a white haze has formed. Finally, buff the surface with a soft cotton cloth.
OSMO Maintenance Oil Instructions:
- Apply a thin, even layer of oil along the wood grain with a roller or microfiber pad.
- Massage into the wood with a white pad. Then, remove the excess product.
- For smaller areas, OSMO Maintenance Oil can be applied with a lint-free cloth. Remember to allow for good ventilation while the floor is drying. Drying time is approximately 3-4 hours.
Call on Elite Hardwood Flooring
No matter what stage of the flooring process you’re in, Elite Hardwood is here to get you back on track. We provide expert installation, dustless sanding, and finishing services for homeowners all throughout Maryland. Most importantly, we’re the certified wood flooring professionals that you can count on. So, contact us today and let us know how we can help. Or, schedule an appointment to view our hardwoods and services.